Saturday, February 5, 2011

espresso granola hearts

heart and angel wings...
Sometimes, it's just pure luck.  This photo is actually from the end of the photo session.  Two of the three stacked, heart-shaped granola bars fell backwards.  It happened in slow motion, and I decided this session was over.  But, ahhhhh, look.....angel wings...and angel wings with hearts inside.

I love the light; I look for it, all day, every day.  It's not really a conscious effort; it just happens.

These are THE best granola bars I have made.  They are no-bake (other than toasting nuts and coconut), and they are speckled with ground espresso beans.  You can enjoy your morning coffee and oats in one bite.

Look closely - the little dark spots are tiny bits of "let's get this day started!"
Go ahead - click on the picture to enlarge the image; you need to see the espresso.

The ground espresso beans give these granola hearts a depth of flavor that compliments the other ingredients in the bar. I'm not a coffee drinker, but I kept going back to the storage tin to have 'just one more' of these bars.

Recipe adapted from Carter of 'the kitchenette'  here.

If you want thin bars, use a 9" x 9" pan; thicker bars-use an 8"x8"pan; cute bars-use a heart shaped pan

Espresso Granola Hearts


Toast in 350 degree oven about 10 minutes; watch closely-coconut burns quickly
1 c. pecans (chopped after toasting)
1 c. slivered almonds
2/3 c. sweetened coconut

Let the toasted mixture cool while combining in a pan:
1/2 c. golden syrup (I used a mixture of mostly golden syrup and a little honey)
1/4 c. light brown sugar
1/2 t. salt
2 T ground espresso beans (I used Lavazza Qualita Oro Espresso Ground Coffee)
1 t. vanilla
Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until sugar dissolves.

Combine in a large bowl:
Toasted pecans/almonds/coconut
1 1/4 c. oats (not instant)
1 1/2 c. rice krispies
4 T. ground flax seed

Pour liquid over dry ingredients in bowl.  Stir until all dry ingredients are well coated.  Spread mixture into parchment lined (or buttered) pan.  Press firmly on the mixture to compact the ingredients.  Let cool for about 2 hours.  Slice and enjoy.  I wrapped the bars in parchment and stored them in a tin; they were fresh and crisp one week later.

Enjoy
9528

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the granola bars! I totally agree, hands down the BEST granola bars I've ever made/had in my house. And the little heart shape is adorable!

    ReplyDelete